AWS certification, an overview
May 08,2018, | By Innovative Academy
AWS or Amazon Web Service offers widespread services for networking, storage, and computation. EC2, i.e. Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud; and S3, i.e. Amazon Simple Storage Service are the two most prominent services.
There is a long array of other services also offered by Amazon. For example, applications, developer tools, analytic services, database, etc.
Within a brief time, Amazon AWS has become a dominant player in the field of on-demand cloud computing market. Big companies in the world rely on its services nowadays, giving it a winning edge over the competitors.
Compared to the versatility of the services offered, Amazon AWS has kept the certification streams simple; three associate-level certifications and two professional level.
These two streams fall into three categories
• Architect: Those who design and develop distributed systems on the AWS platform need to complete these certifications. They can start with the Associate levels and move towards the Professional levels.
• Development: Those who develop applications and manage should start with AWS Certified Developer certification at the associate level. They can do DevOps Engineer certification optionally.
• Operations: A well-managed and optimized AWS platform requires skills that can be mastered by undergoing Associate level operations certifications. SysOps and DevOps are two streams that are closely related to each other. Hence, people prefer doing both certifications to attain higher levels of proficiency.
Two certificates come under this category:
• AWS Certified Solutions Architect-Associate
• AWS Certified Solutions Architect-Professional
Both certifications are based on the skills required for designing distributed applications and systems using AWS platform.
AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Associate
It is a certification that requires at least one-year experience in one or more programming languages. Also, he should be well-versed with the best practices followed in the AWS.
The candidate should know the methods of identifying and selecting data, computing and managing databases. Understanding of cost estimation is desirable.
The AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Professional
A person who wants to achieve AWS Certified Solutions Architect-Professional should know how to migrate multi-tiered applications to AWS.
For this certification, at least two years of experience is desired. The candidate should be able to work as leader or advisor in the architectural aspects.
In this category, AWS offers two types of certificates:
• AWS Certified Developer-Associate
• AWS Certified DevOps Engineer-Professional
Both the certifications are for those who develop and maintain apps that run on AWS platform.
AWS Certified Developer-Associate
A person who wants to get certified for AWS Developer-Associate should know the AWS services, software development kit or SDK, and should be able to write code.
It is also required that he knows the ways of implementing code level security, e.g., encryption, access management, and user entity management.
For this certification, the candidate should have at least one year of experience in developing an application for AWS service, or Amazon SSS (Simple Storage Service) and DynamoDB.
The AWS Certified DevOps Engineer – Professional
There is a prerequisite for this certification. The candidate should have AWS Certified Developer-Associate certification or AWS Certifies SysOps Administrator certificate.
Besides it, there should be a relevant experience of at least two years in automation and scripting. The candidate should know about the programming languages and associated technologies.
It is expected that the candidate knows how to automate security controls, validate compliance and perform monitoring and logging.
Not everyone is a developer or administrator. Rather, a large community is there that only uses AWS. For these people, AWS offers operations certifications are appropriate.
By completing this certification, you learn how to manage the operations optimally during the project’s lifecycle.
What is all covered here?
• Processes to support scalability
• Maintaining high availability of AWS
• Understanding fault tolerance methods
• The Ins and outs of data flow
• Migration of legacy systems to AWS platform
• Understanding operational costs and best practices
To enroll in AWS Operational Certification, you need to have at least one year of experience in the field. It is assumed that the candidate has the basic understanding of the best practices, solution identification, and selection, etc.
The exam throws multiple-answer and multiple-choice questions. Associate level exams are of 80 minutes duration whereas professional level exams are 170 minutes duration.
Once certified, one can appear for recertification to keep the skills sharp and updated. It must be done every two years after achieving certification.